50-minute English Lesson
Are you a foodie? In this free online English class, we test your food knowledge.
Read the questions
Read the questions. Then listen. Then say the answers. Then check your answers.
- What color is peanut butter?
- Which country grows more grapes, France or China?
- Do some restaurants really use special colors to make people feel hungry?
- Yes or no? McDonald’s sells 75 hamburgers every minute.
- Was pizza first made in Italy?
- People enjoy H2O. What do H and O stand for?
- Was spaghetti first created in Italy or China?
- What color is mustard?
- Bees work hard to produce which food?
- Yes or no? People in Europe never saw a potato until the 1550s.
- Name the spicy Korean food made from cabbage.
- What’s in a coconut?
- Which country grows more kiwi, New Zealand or Italy?
- Yes or no? Carrots used to be purple a long time ago.
- What Canadian food comes from the inside part of trees?
- The USA or Mexico? Which country buys more Coke when talking about the number of cans per person per year?
- Yes or no? The banana is a berry.
- What are French fries made from?
- True or not true. Eating lots of onions can make you sleepy.
Listen without reading
Here is the listening file for this lesson.
Audio file: 2:14 min
Story length: 209 words
Did you understand the story?
Let's check with a True-False quiz.
Online English Class: gap fill
Listen to the quiz again and fill in the blanks.
- What color is ________ butter?
- Which country grows more ________ , France or China?
- Do some restaurants really use ________ colors to make people feel hungry?
- Yes or no? McDonald’s sells 75 hamburgers every ________ .
- Was pizza first ________ ______ Italy?
- People enjoy H2O. What do H and O ________ ______ ?
- Was spaghetti first ________ _____ Italy or China?
- What ________ _____ mustard?
- Bees work hard to ________ which food?
- Yes or no? People in Europe never saw a potato until the ________ .
- Name the spicy Korean food made from ________ .
- ________ _____ _____ coconut?
- Which country ________ ______ kiwi, New Zealand or Italy?
- Yes or no? Carrots ________ ______ ______ purple a long time ago.
- What Canadian food ________ ________ the inside part of trees?
- The USA or Mexico? Which country buys more Coke when talking about the number of ________ ______ ______ per year?
- Yes or no? The banana is a ________ .
- What are French fries ________ ______ ?
- True or not true. Eating lots of onions can make you ________ .
ESL discussion questions
Talk about the online English class story.
- Were you stumped by any of the quiz questions?
- Do you like junk food? What’s your favorite?
- Can you name four kinds of spicy food?
- Do you enjoy any strange food combinations?
- What food did you hate as a kid but now like to eat?
Match the word or phrase on the left with the correct synonym.
|1. stand for|
Online English class: Anagrams
Move the letters. Make a word from the Online English class activity.
Write the five sentences. Put the words in the correct order.
- made / food / spicy / name / cabbage / the / from / Korean
- or / country / grows / grapes / China / France / which / more
- fries / made / from / are / French / what
- first / pizza / Italy / was / made / in
- trees / food / of / from / Canadian / what / comes / inside / the / part
Another free online English class
Ready for some more online listening practice? Try this free online listening comprehension lesson on the history of the Rubik Cube.
Watch a video and take notes
Did you like this free online English class about food? Here’s a video that shows the history of pasta.
- Watch the video.
- Take notes.
- Write down at least eight facts.
Get the worksheet
Want to print out these online English class activities? Click to download the PDF worksheet.
Get the answers to the food quiz in this PDF worksheet.
This text and audio file are copyrighted. They may be used for non-commercial educational purposes. They may not be used or adapted for any commercial purpose.